Saturday, June 18, 2011

Daddy-O

Daddy & Me - circa 1964It’s Father’s Day – I can’t let this day slip past without talking about one of the best men I know!  I’m sure many girls feel this way, but in my case it’s actually TRUE – my daddy is amazing!  I had such a good example of what a loving father and husband should be – which is what I used as an example when I bagged my sweet hubby!   (My hubby is an amazing daddy, too!  Just ask my kids!)

One of my dad’s best qualities is his patience.  Can you imagine the drama and nonsense that seven kids produced?  When my little brother – the baby of the family – was born, my dad was 37 years old.  So, at age 37, he had seven kids, ages 17 and younger!  That’s a lot of craziness!  Ours was a noisy, busy house.  There was teenage drama, young kids running around, baby diapers, and spit-up all at the same time.  Not to mention being the only man in a house full of women!  However, in the midst of it all, he maintained a cool, patient attitude – for the most part!  I’m sure there were instances when he was at the end of his rope, and I can think of a time or two when he lost his cool a bit; but I think he deserves a “my-life-is-crazy-but-I’m-staying-patient-in-the-midst-of-it-all” medal!

Another one of my dad’s amazing qualities is his steady, consistent goodness.  He is just a good man.  Honest, loyal, dependable, genuine.  I’ve never heard him lie and never seen him cheat.  That’s not a common claim these days.  It’s so easy to tell a “little white lie” or cheat on your taxes.  It’s almost expected.  I’m thankful for his awesome example of moral, Christian character. 

164697_1667456658950_1613317498_1527228_1774531_n[1]
My dad and all his kids - being silly.


My dad is also very fun and has a great sense of humor!  He loves a good clean joke, loves to sing silly songs, and have fun with his family.  I remember bouncing on his knee to “trot-little-pony”, going on camping trips, singing around the campfire, and listening to his corny jokes or silly poems he could still recite from childhood. 







grandpa loves cassie
Cassie loves her Grandpa!
 But, the number one thing about my dad that makes him so special is that he is – by far –
THE.  SWEETEST.  MAN. 

As a pastor, friend, husband, and father, he has won many hearts and affected many lives with his kind, sweet heart.  He loves his family deeply, and we all know it.  A few years ago, my sisters and I went on a weekend getaway and the conversation shifted to Dad.  Someone jokingly announced that they thought they were Dad’s “favorite”.  But, wait a minute!  thought was his “favorite”!  I’m his baby girl!  Before we knew it, we discovered that every single one of us felt the same way!  Of course, we didn’t really feel he was playing favorites.  It was just a joke among sisters.  But, how amazing is that!?  Somehow he has succeeded in making each one of us feel specifically loved! 

I’m so thankful for my daddy.  He is a man of character and sweetness and I love him with ALL MY HEART!!  Happy Father’s Day to the best daddy in the world!!

No comments: